Here Comes Another Indie Cup Race!
Great news! I’ve almost gotten another Indie Cup track finished up, this one is for Fist Of Awesome, and it’s shaping up to be a truly awesome addition!
The track sides are populated with the crazed human-hating bears of Bearhattan, cheering you on to victory (presumably humans taste better when they win a race?) I also created a new obstacle specially for the Bearhattan track too – you’ll now have to avoid fire pits! You can either skilfully steer around them or courageously hop over them in daredevil style, like a boss!
More kinks cleaned up
Here’s a short list of some features I’ve been cleaning:
- Exploding Pineapples now have a pulsing vibration animation when they’re ready to go boom!
- Made some improvements in how the CPU karts read the track surface data
- CPU karts can now fall off of tracks with drops (previously they didn’t recognise gaps and just floated over them), now you can time a Melon or Loconut hit so that you knock a CPU kart off the track to slow them down even more!
- Character voices are now played in 3d space so you only hear CPU voices if you’re near to them. Previously when they were 2d sounds you heard every weapon hit the CPU karts gave and took even if you were on the other side of the track and it was a little noisy and confusing.
- Improved accuracy in the race positions algorithm (cleaned after the video above was recorded)
- Created new menu screenshots for the track previews as the tracks have changed so much since the previews were first created
BETA Coming Soon!
I said in the previous update I wanted to get the BETA ready by the end of Jan, and I’ve now got the BETA on Steam ready to roll and I’ve put in a request to Valve for your Steam keys! YEAH!
If you’ve backed the game at a BETA tier you can expect a key coming to you soon. I’ve got 200 keys to send out, so hold tight while I get them to you all. (They’ll start going out next weekend, and you shouldn’t be waiting any longer than a week from then)
What you’ll get – Right now there are 3 cups to race in Grand Prix mode, each with 4 tracks. The first cup in both World Cups and Indie Cups sections are almost completed, and just need a few tweaks here and there, but the tracks in the second cup of the World Cups section still need a lot of work but I decided to leave it unlocked so you could still try them out. You’ll also be able to choose from all of the characters without having to unlock them (mainly because the unlock shop isn’t created yet). =D
What you won’t get – Battle Mode is broken right now, a lot of changes that were made in single player have affected multiplayer negatively, and it’s not currently available. Time Trials aren’t ready yet either.
The BETA is only ready for Steam right now (on Mac and Windows), but the good news is, if you’re waiting for it on OUYA, you can test it on Steam now, and still get it on OUYA later. You’ll just have to wait a little bit longer to play it on OUYA.
Although I had stated in the estimated release date when setting up the KickStarter page that the game would be finished and released in March 2015, I’ve come to realise that I need to put in extra time and effort into the Indie Cup tracks. The Indie Cup tracks are a feature which was added after the KickStarter began, which I hadn’t accounted for in my guestimate, and they’re a really great addition to the game, I couldn’t imagine it without them now!
So, I’m looking at adding a tiny 3 extra months of development time, to get you a much better game, and a June 2015 release date is now pencilled in, stick it in your calendar or write it on your fridge door! Hopefully the release date won’t slip any further though, as I don’t want you to be waiting too long on the game, plus I have a few other new project ideas on post-it notes that I’d really like to prototype, and then go on to start developing one of them this year too.